Welcome to this short course for school based Associate Tutors with the University of Cumbria. This online course provides an update to your initial mentor training. The course is self paced and you can engage at a time that best suits you.
- Please note: This course is only suitable for people who have completed Initial Mentor Training.
- When you have finished the course you will receive a certificate of completion.
- If required, please contact your University of Cumbria professional partnership tutor to discuss your training needs and for further information.
The intended learning outcomes, of this course, are:
- To further develop confidence and competency in mentoring
- To have a common understanding about the students’ role in pupil progress
- To further consider clear and focused target setting
- To develop a deeper understanding of mentoring practice through consideration of theory, values and principles
- To further develop mentors’ practice in moving students on in their learning
- To have the opportunity to moderate assessments of students
- To give mentors the opportunity to feedback on partnership practice
There are four topic areas for you to study:
- The Advanced Mentor: Theory into Practice
- Effective Target Setting
- Tracking Pupil Progress
- Responsive Mentoring
The total recommended study time for each topic is approximately 1 hour (4 hours total).
These topics may be studied and completed in any order.
Accessing this course
Note: This course is only intended for school based Associate Tutors with the University of Cumbria.
- First, you will need a course Access Code. You may have already received this or you can contact Linda.Muir@Cumbria.ac.uk to request one.
- Login to Blackboard Open Education (or create an account) using the blue Login button at the top of this page.
- Visit the Experienced Mentor in School Login page and enter your Access Code.
Now, whenever you Login to Blackboard Open Education, the course will appear on the front page in your courses list.